Recipe: Minestrone Soup

A bowl of soup goes a long way during winter.  A bowl of soup warms up the heart and soul.  My hubby asked me to make his favorite soup: Minestrone, especially if I can get it close to the Olive Garden version.  Not sure what goes in the soup, I did see this tasty recipe the Olive Garden Minestrone Soup.  My recipe is an adapted version of this soup because who has every single ingredient available in their home?  For sure not my home.

Prep: 15 min.  (I like to prepare the ingredients before actually cooking.
Cook: 50 min., depending on consistency
Servings: 6-8

Ingredients
  • 2-4 T Olive Oil (we are usually generous)
  • 2 c of seasoned hamburger 
  • 1/2 c minced onion
  • 1/4 c chopped zucchini
  • 1/4 c green beans
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 4 cups of Swanson chicken broth low sodium
  • 1 can red kidney beans, drained
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 1/2 can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1/2 cup chopped carrots
  • 2 T dried parsley
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp of sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 dried basil
  • 1 1/2 cup of boiling water
  • 1 cup of  shell pasta
Directions:

Heat the olive oil in a pot.  Saute the onions, carrots, zucchini, green beans, garlic, and the seasoned hamburger for about 5 minutes.  Add the Chicken broth, drained tomatoes, beans, spices and hot water. Bring soup to a boil.  

Once boiled, simmer for 25 minutes, with lid on top of pot.  Add pasta, and continue to simmer for 20 minutes or until desired consistency.  

Let me just say my hubby and son loved the soup.  My 9 year old son loved the veggies in the soup!  I am so excited. My hubby isn't the only one who can cook around here. ;)

As we say in Arabic: "Sahtain"  (Bon Appetit).




2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh YUM. I get the Minestrone every time we go to OG which isnt NEAR often enough... I must try my hand at making this lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynsey, Not only is it yummy, it keeps you warm during winter! This is the first time I made Minestrone. It is really easy. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

wibiya widget

Facebook and Twitter