Sophia Bush Says She's Received Pushback For Voicing Political Opinions As An Actress

Actress Sophia Bush sat down with HuffPost Live on Tuesday and revealed that she has been discouraged from sharing her political opinions as an actress.


Bush: "It's so funny how quickly people forget that you are a real multidimensional human being and not just a flat person on a television screen."


Bush: "When I speak up about issues, sometimes that really motivates people. … I would imagine with this many years of me exercising my social platforms in the way that I do, people would know that I'm very outspoken and I still have people saying, 'You're an actress. Stay in your lane. You're not allowed to be political.' And I'm like, 'Excuse me?' I travel all around the world and see the effects of be it education access, environmental crises, what's happening in political sphere how it affects the developing world [and] women in my own backyard. I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to voice my opinions about that, but thanks."

She also explained that her definition of the word "feminism" is actually pretty simple.

Bush: "It's so not complicated. ...I watch everybody fight over whether it's appropriate to be a feminist or not. And I sit here thinking, well, I'm a woman. I would like to be judged on the quality of my work, I would like to be compensated fairly for my work. I would like to have just as much access to healthcare as any man. Yeah, that's pretty much it. I don't know what the big fight is all about. Believing in my right to live as well and as well protected in the world as a man, doesn't mean I hate men. And it doesn't mean I'm going to burn all my bras and throw away all my high heels. I don't want to be judged for wearing them. I don't want to be judged for wearing motorcycle boots either."
Watch the full HuffPost Live segment with Sophia Bush here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

wibiya widget

Facebook and Twitter